As it’s a new year some of you might be thinking of starting a blog I thought I do a post of suggestions.
- Write about what you know. It would be impossible for me to write about make up or mechanics because I haven’t a clue about either. Blog posts are much easier to write if you have an interest in your topic or topics.
- Pick a catchy blog name – I didn’t. It’s too late to change it now because a lot of people know me as Magnumlady.
- Be yourself. Don’t try to be anyone else, your personality will come through and people will feel like they know you.
- Be patient. It takes a long time to build up followers and it certainly doesn’t happen overnight.
- Be nice. Blogging isn’t a competition. Other bloggers will really appreciate a kind word or a comment. This is especially important if you go along to blogging events, a friendly face makes all the difference.
- If you are using photos in your posts use good quality images which you have taken yourself or have permission to use. I’ve already written about photography tips here.
- If you are lucky enough to be invited to a blogger event be sure to RSVP. Also turn up or let the organisers know if you can’t. Be polite, be punctual, be friendly and follow-up with a thank you email.
- Try to blog on a regular basis. This can be tricky enough at times as we all run out of inspiration but it’s hard to keep readers coming back if they aren’t sure when or if you will blog.
- Proofread your posts before you press publish. I’m not the best at spelling but spell check is there for a reason 🙂
- Have fun! Blogging can be brilliant and can lead to some great opportunities. For me most of the time it’s to get things out of my head or share photos/things about Sligo.
I love having the blog, it started off as a diary 8 years ago and has just gone its own way now. I’ve had some great experiences through it and met some lovely people. Good luck if you decide to start your own blogging journey and let me know how you get on.
Good advice! Happy New Year!
Thank you 🙂
A nice read. I agree with it all. Cheers to a great 2017!
Thanks Melissa, hope you have a great year 🙂
Great tips, Val.