Two years ago I was in a very different place. My confidence was at an all time zero and I didn’t believe I could really do anything. I saw an event taking place at the IT Sligo, it was called Blooming Queens and it was an invent to inspire women. I signed up and I dragged myself to it.
I’m so glad I did because it changed my life. I sat up and listened, especially to Laura who organised the event. I took these statements away from the event:
- Life isn’t always easy, there are potholes and roundabouts on the road to success.
- Ask for help. Don’t be afraid to ask, most people are only too happy to help.
- A good planner is better than a good worker.
- If you’ve had a business that didn’t work out it’s not a failure it’s an internship.
- Do what you love.
- You learn something from everything.
- Stay away from negative people.
- Rest is important.
- Networking is key.
- Find your mojo when you can’t find your keys.
- Be kind to yourself.
- Look up when you walk into a room.
- People sell – people want to ‘buy into’ personalities.
- Passion not perfection.
- Be yourself.
Not only that but Laura also said if we had something to ask someone we should go for it. So I did just that. I sent Orla (Laura’s boss) an email to ask if there might be any work available. I was a long time admirer of Orla’s business Momentum and the wonderful work they do. To cut a long story short I now work for Momentum. It’s like a dream come true and it wouldn’t have happened if Laura didn’t host this event.
So, today and everyday I’m grateful to Laura for her inspiration and to Orla for taking a chance on me and believing in me when I didn’t believe in myself. I’m also grateful to be part of an amazing supportive team of the best people.
If you do have something to ask someone just go for it. The worst they can say is no and if you take a leap of faith maybe something wonderful and life changing might happen.