As it’s St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow I thought I should make something fitting for the occasion. It’s a Guinness Chocolate Cake based on Nigella’s recipe but a budget version 😉 I really like it so if you give it a try let me know what you think:
- 250 ml Guinness
- 250 grams margarine
- 90 grams hot chocolate powder (because I didn’t have cocoa powder)
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 142 ml sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 275 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350ºF, and butter and line a 23cm / 9 inch springform tin.
- Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the margarine – in slices – and heat until the marg is melted, whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the liquid in the saucepan, finally whisk in the flour and bicarb.
- Pour the cake mix into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack.
- When it’s cool you can either use Nigella’s topping recipe or just top it with whipped cream (as I did). Although to be honest I didn’t let it cool down because it looked too nice and I wanted to try it 😉